Pages

Tuesday 1 July 2014

Summer holiday goings on

Continuing with my activities for the summer holidays here is a run down of what we are up to today...

Lots more playing in the garden, it's supposed to be raining tomorrow so we need to make the most of the sun.

Baking! This is less stressful for me that crafty messy play because at the end of it you at least get to eat something yummy!

While I am at it I shall try and share my tips for making it as stress free as possible.

1.  Unless your child is old enough to help work the scales measure out everything in advance so that the activity is more one of pouring and mixing



2.  Adjust how you do things a little.  For example, I wouldn't normally use a pastry brush to butter my dish but N can understand the concept of "painting" the dish so it's not so messy (I got this idea from watching Katy's "I can cook" on cbeebies.



3.  Avoid your child getting frustrated by recognising the things they CAN do.  N is really good a cracking eggs so we do it in a dish first in case we get bits of shell escaping in but she is always proud of herself when she achieves it


4.  Make sure they are working at a sensible height.  I let N stand on a chair so she can reach the work surface, you can buy special things but this does the job as long as I stay close so she is safe.



5. Enjoy your spoils! (in this case with some cbeebies)



Today we made baked oatmeal, ideal because it is a shove-everything-in-and-mix type of recipe

Ingredients:
3 cups oatmeal
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
2 eggs
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
A handful of sultanas

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celcius
Mix all ingredients together and pour into 13 x 9 inch buttered pan.
Bake at 190 degrees for 25 minutes. (so said the recipe but my oven is rubbish and it took an extra 10!)

M is now having a nap so I let N finish her toadstool picture from yesterday
and the finished article (well, once the glue is dry)
We have a friend coming round to play this afternoon so that will just take care of itself!  How are you occupying your little people today?

No comments:

Post a Comment